Product ID 26075
Magnesium plays an essential role in over 300 enzyme reactions in the human body. All refined foods are lacking Ionic Magnesium, as well as most other essential minerals. Many Americans eat a highly refined diet and are, as a result, deficient in Magnesium.
Some important functions of Magnesium are:
- Regulates Calcium transport and deposition into bone
- Necessary for tissue growth and development
- Supports immune system health and function
- A primary electrolyte along with Calcium, Potassium, Sodium and Chloride
- Helps in the conduction of nerve impulses and the relaxation of muscle tissue
Calcium and Potassium stimulate muscle contraction - Magnesium makes muscles relax. This is very important for heart function as the body needs ample stores of Ionic Magnesium to allow for proper heart muscle relaxation.
While Magnesium deficiency is fairly common, it is frequently overlooked. The reason is that serum Magnesium levels (the test most doctors use) do not reflect actual body stores of Magnesium. Blood levels are kept within the normal range at the expense of other tissues.
Magnesium deficiency may occur because of:
- Excessive loss of Magnesium through urine or sweat
- Temporary gastrointestinal upsets, which can cause a loss of Magnesium or limit Magnesium absorption
- A chronically low intake of Magnesium
- Excessive stress, either physical, emotional, or environmental
Magnesium elimination is increased when using alcohol, caffeine, excessive sugar, diuretics, and birth control pills.
Supplementing with Ionic Magnesium can help to support:
- Healthy blood sugar levels
- Healthy blood pressure
- Protein synthesis
- The body to produce the antioxidant glutathione